Skip to main content

God Teaches Us to Number Our Days...

2 Peter 3:8King James Version (KJV)

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Dear Friends,
I have learned that through grief the Lord has a way of teaching us to number our days.  When grief is fresh, immense sorrowful feelings can overtake us. Feelings that make us wonder if we will be able to take our next breath.  Yet, we do. We do so by the grace of God. For as the Psalmist declares.  It is in Him that we live, we move and have our being.
In spite of tremendous pain God moves us through seasons of our life.  As Christians, we are taught through the Word of God that while we may sorrow, we are not to do so as those who have no hope.  My testimony is that it took time and more than one bereavement to understand what that meant.  

There were days when I felt alone and hopeless. But thank God, The Holy Spirit encouraged my spirit with constant reminders. Reminders came through scripture, songs, friends and sermons. I was reminded  not to trust my "feelings." I was admonished to trust God and constantly reassured that I was not alone and to focus my hope on Him.

I am thinking about this more intentionally today because five years ago on September 16 my mother went home to be with the Lord.  I will always feel the empty space and miss Ma. But God has taught me that He is greater than grief. In grief, He has broken and through grief He has healed. Only God... Through His sufficient grace.

in Christ,
Sis. Stephanie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...