Skip to main content

Hear ye...Hear ye...

Proverbs 4:1King James Version (KJV)

4 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
Dear Friends,
It pays to listen to sound advice.  I think back to the wisdom of my parents. I reflect on the countless times my father would stay up talking to me until the wee hours of the morning. I always knew my dreams mattered. And he knew that his dreams mattered to me.  Fathers, grandfathers, uncles, male cousins, positive influences in the lives of young people have tremendous impact.  It is true that it takes a village to raise a child.  And it takes all of us, men and women alike, to keep raising the village.
in Christ,
Sis Stephanie
            For My Father at Eighty-Three -sdktyus@2018 
It meant something for me to grow up with a father
Who was a guide, confidante and someone on whom I could depend
Daddy represented wisdom and courage and safety back then
He painted a picture of the world that was realistic yet he tempered it with love
Constantly reminding me that my life was being shaped by Our Father above.
Daddy did not represent perfection as a man of course there were flaws
But today as back then he was my hero flaws and all.
My father taught me to hold my head up and not be afraid
To look another in the eye.
Thank you Daddy for giving me the tools that I needed to survive.
Daddy, God bless you today on your 83rd birthday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...