Skip to main content

If It Be Possible and Nevertheless - St. Matthew 26:39


And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. - St. Matthew 26:39

If it be possible, let this cup pass.  Jesus came to earth with a mission to fulfill.  He came to pay the ransome for the sins of mankind.  It is beyond imagination to think of all the He must have seen when He looked in "the cup." It stands to reason, however, that what He saw there was horrendous, terrible, for that it where sin leads. It leads to the horrendous and terrible.  The human nature desires deliverance.  Thus, the words: If it be possible, let this cup pass from me."  The Spirit of God, however, reigned in the words at the end of the verse.  Nevertheless,  not as I will but as thou wilt.
With God all things are possible and He is able to save, deliver and secure. He always can be depended upon.  Consider Jesus.  The initial cup did not pass.  Death at calvary was imminent.  But God granted the request of His Son that acknowledged the wisdom of Father God.  Nevertheless, was the great way.
Between if it be possible and nevertheless Father God added strength to His Son to finish the course.  We as children of God have the assurance of the same grace.  The sufficient grace of God that adds strength to our souls as we journey through the seasons of "if it be possible" and nevertheless.
We are welcomed by God to approach His throne in boldness to make our requests known.  We are taught by the example of Christ that real peace and victory comes in trusting God for both the possibilities and "nevertheless" times in life.
 O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. - St. Matthew 26:39
God bless!
in Christ,
Sis. Stephanie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...