Skip to main content

The Whatsoever Things - Philippians 4:8


"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any praise, think on these things." -  Philippians 4:8, KJV

The "whatsoever things" are meant to help us keep our focus. Pure.  Lovely.  Good report.
Think on these things.  All around us there are reminders of the great world crisis.  This crisis, this dangerous opportunity threatens to destroy lives, erase peace, steal joy and promote fear.  The reality is that this is a disturbance of order throughout the world.  But God is still God.  He alone holds the answers to the hard questions we are faced with daily.
The answers are contained in His Word.

The "whatsoever things" include a beautiful flower, a star filled night sky.  A video that has gone viral of an infant child raising hands of praise in response to a mother's worship is a whatsoever thing.  A call from a friend or loved one with a voice of cheer, waking up to  raindrops fallling from the sky illustrating magnificent blessings showered from the Lord, these are "whatsoever things." 

"Whatsoever things" for me include looking out and seeing a beautiful red cardinal.  I get so excited.  I call every cardinal I see in the back yard Carly.  Carly cardinal is lovely and pure and whether flying or perched on a limb the report is good.  Carly came by today.  

When I think about how good God is and how wonderfully He has blessed me I cannot help but praise him.  Refreshing water to drink, food on the table, shoes to wear, the ability to see and hear,  are "whatsoever things."

I think I'll make a list of lovely and pure things that grace my life.  I am certain the list is longer and more powerful than any giant or any challenge.  In humaness we can become weary.  But God in His Holiness offers us rest when the pressure is too great.  I'm thinking about the Lord. In Him I can dwell on lovliness.  Praise the Lord for the "whatsoever things."

God bless!
in Christ,
Sis. Stephanie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...