Skip to main content

When I Was a Child

1 Corinthians 13:11a - King James Version

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child

Childhood.  Passing days make it seems so distant.  Yet, memories keep it close.  Childhood. When I reflect on those days most of my memories are good ones.  I am also aware that there were some frightening times.  There were a lot of challenges my parents faced raising four children.  There were choices that had to be made sometimes that I did not understand.  Some of those choices still puzzle me.  However, the overriding theme during that time was love.  I always knew I was loved.  Because of that I also loved others, my parents, my brothers and my sister.  That love was loyal, it was fierce, it was unconditional, and it has withstood the test of time.   I cannot describe how thankful I am.  On days when I feel down the love of family has lifted me.  My mother and sister are gone on, but their love remains.  My father and brothers...I cannot say enough about what the love we share means.

When I was a child I would write letters, cards, poems and send them to my family.  I could never quite express verbally what I felt because I would get so emotional and could not get the words out.  Praise God I could write down my feelings.  I have gotten a little better articulating my feelings, but I still write them out.  I have always felt a deep connection to the written word.  Books.  My passion when I was a child was reading.  As I grew older, I would sometimes read three to four books at a time. Bookmarks held my place for the book in the living room, the title in the bedroom and the one in my car.

When I was a child, I made a lot of mistakes.  I had a very vivid imagination.  Some days it was hard to separate fact from fiction.  When I was a child, I often had dreams and visions that I kept to myself.  The visions could be unsettling. But eventually I learned to give my concerns to God.  When I was a child thoughts became prayer.  I always felt the presence of God.  I praise God that I still dream and have visions.  Still, I know that God is with me.

When I was a child bruises healed faster, summers seemed to last longer, and neighbors were close.  When I was a child, I thought of what I would do with my life when I grew up.  I made lists and I kept a diary.

Growing up, becoming "grown" has happened in phases. I remember my childhood in snippets, pages and chapters.  Growing up continues.  Every day I learn something new.  I realize that the newness is often just a different way of reflecting on lessons learned when I was a child.  Time.  Everything happens in time.

I cannot separate the child "me" from the now "me." They function in sync.  I praise God for allowing my days to continue.  I thank Him for allowing me backward glances to the past, for living in the present and that He has secured my future.

All of us, children once.  By grace, we live on as children of God.

Blessed be the ties that bind.

in Christ,

Sis. Stephanie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...