Skip to main content

In the Light



"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin."
- I John 1:7


Dear Friends,

What does it mean to walk in the light?  Choosing God's way instead of our own.  Yielding to the leading of the Holy Spirit instead of following our personal agenda, this is walking in the light.  To walk in the light is to see our path illuminated.  It is a life that is guided by He Who Is Light.  Jesus Himself is the Bright Torch that sheds understanding and adds meaning to our very existence.  

I recently had a conversation with a young woman who is struggling with her reason for being.  It is not that she is thinking about taking her own life. Rather she is taking the position that at less than thirty years old, no one would miss her if she was gone.  In talking to this young person and trying to encourage her I recalled mutual acquaintances whose lives she has impacted. I don't think she realizes that her very presence and character have influenced many.  I started to think that maybe it is because we don't always do a good job of letting people know how they add value to our lives.

I want to encourage you today to be intentional in seeking out a young man or woman you admire or one who could use a few words of encouragement. Not everyone is on social media so you might have to make a call or purpose to say a word to them when you see them or do something really radical like writing a letter. (smile)  

When we walk in the light, the light expands and the path of others benefit from the glow.  This is true when Christ is the light.  The songwriter invites us to:

Walk in the Light, beautiful Light;
Come where His love and His mercy are bright.
Shine all around us by day and by night,
Jesus, the Light of the World. 


in Christ,

Sis. Stephanie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...