Skip to main content

Are You Listening?



January 2, 2013

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."
     - James 1:19


On my desk at work I have the verse for the day displayed.  The Holy Spirit placed this scripture upon my heart in a very profound way two years ago when I received a promotion on my job.  In every situation, circumstance and meeting where I have allowed myself to be governed by this verse the outcome has been much improved.

It often takes a great deal of restraint to be a good listener, to truly care about what the other person is saying.  To listen swiftly is to imply listening eagerly and attentively to what is being conveyed.  It is to put more energy in to hearing than speaking.  To be swift to hear is to quicken one's pace to show up first, to exhibit a willingness to gain understanding of the speaker's point of few, illustrating
to the one speaking that what they have to say matters. 

It takes just as much self-control to be slow to speak.  An individual who takes his/her time before expressing an opinion and additionally one who does not always feel they have to share an opinion is often paid attention to.  "Think before you speak" is what our elders have taught us.  It stands to reason that if we are careful in our listening, thoughtful and deliberate in our speech, then much of what we say will be marked by graciousness and not anger or wrath.

The more I pondered this I understood that James 1:9 is the Bibilical forumula for good communication.

Listen more that you speak and don't be so quick to take offense.  Amen.

God bless!

Sis. Stephanie D. K. Tyus

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...