Skip to main content

Gather Together


January 22, 2013


For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."
                - St. Matthew 18:20

Dear Friend,



Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend a wonderful celebration in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  The annual event brought together people from all walks of life. The event was particularly significant  this year because we also witnessed the inauguration of the second term of this country's first African American President.


I have attended several such events over the years but this one was different.  Starting off the event were high school poets who challenged the social consciousness of those in attendance.  Yet, more so they challenged the stereotypical thinking of those who have labeled without investigation or consideration today's young people as a generation without purpose or direction.  Those who gathered yesterday bore witness to something far different.

The soloist who gave a rendition of "I Know I've Been Changed."  shook the foundations of the brick building as the words "the angel in heaven done signed my name" lifted upward as he asked the audience to join him in singing the refrain.

The keynote speaker was a young Pastor, new to our community.  He spoke about the collective power of us.  From the moment he stood in front of the podium he spoke with power and authority as he visited history, lifted up the present and cast an anchor in to the future. He brought forth much more than the memory of the dream of Dr. King.  His words were framed in the light of the One whose power and presence makes the continuing legacy of Dr. King possible. 

I know that there were at least two or three gathered together in the name of Jesus Christ yesterday.  The Holy Spirit overshadowed the "service" letting us know that because we had gathered together in the name of the Lord He was there faithful to His promise.  The library building was transformed and as in the case with any room, any building, situation, or experience, where "two or three are gathered together"  in the name of the Lord a transformation can and does take place.

Jesus Christ is our Change Agent!  Throughout time He has used those who serve and gather together in His name to get the job done.  What job?  To shed light in darkness.
The preacher yesterday talked about "Us."

 It calls to me this hymn:

            "Let us break bread together on our knees.  Let us break bread together on
             our knees.  When I fall on my knees, with my face to the rising sun, O Lord
             have mercy on me."

Let's gather together and break bread!  The Lord will be in our midst!

God bless!

Sis. Stephanie D. K. Tyus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THANKFULLY

  Philippians 1:3   “I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,” Wherever you are today, I thank God for you. Family, friends and all. I thank God. I praise God for allowing our lives to intersect in some way. May this day and every day be filled with gratitude. I pray that grace and peace abound.  Let mercy and grace be multiplied. Thankfully, the Lord God has brought us, from a mighty long way. God bless✨  In Christ, Sis. Stephanie 

SHIFT KEY

  1 Corinthians 13:12 “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”  It all depends on how you look at it. What’s your focus? Is the picture clear or blurry? Do you need to crop the photo for a better view? A little shift in focus can be key.  Shifting the way you look at things can make a big difference.  I am looking at the shift key on my keyboard. I have options. Lower case or uppercase. Numerical or special characters. Failure to shift correctly can cause denied access because my password is not recognized. Shift is key. Some things can be better understood if we take the time to change our focus.  Zoom in on what really matters.  Stop looking at things that appear  insurmountable. Instead shift your focus. Look at God. The view is breathtaking when I look up. I see Jesus. He sees me. I am shifting my focus. Eyes lifted up. I see where my help comes from. My help comes from the Lord. The Lord who

Through the Eyes of Faith ...By Grace

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of work, lest anyone should boast.   - Ephesians 2:8-9  “Amazing grace shall always be my song of praise for it was grace that bought my liberty. I don’t know why He chose to love me so. He looked beyond my faults and saw my needs.”  So much has happened since the last time I “saw” you. The changing circumstances of the journey have been stabilized by an Unchanging God.   Journey on my sisters and brothers. Bask in the knowledge that unfailing mercy and sufficient grace surround you.   Grace makes new beginnings possible. We can begin again. The time is now. The choice? It’s yours. Yours for the asking.  Through the eyes of faith…we see Jesus.  God bless! In Christ,  Sis. Stephanie