Skip to main content

Gather Together


January 22, 2013


" For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."
                - St. Matthew 18:20

Dear Friend,



Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend a wonderful celebration in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  The annual event brought together people from all walks of life. The event was particularly significant  this year because we also witnessed the inauguration of the second term of this country's first African American President.


I have attended several such events over the years but this one was different.  Starting off the event were high school poets who challenged the social consciousness of those in attendance.  Yet, more so they challenged the stereotypical thinking of those who have labeled without investigation or consideration today's young people as a generation without purpose or direction.  Those who gathered yesterday bore witness to something far different.

The soloist who gave a rendition of "I Know I've Been Changed."  shook the foundations of the brick building as the words "the angel in heaven done signed my name" lifted upward as he asked the audience to join him in singing the refrain.

The keynote speaker was a young Pastor, new to our community.  He spoke about the collective power of us.  From the moment he stood in front of the podium he spoke with power and authority as he visited history, lifted up the present and cast an anchor in to the future. He brought forth much more than the memory of the dream of Dr. King.  His words were framed in the light of the One whose power and presence makes the continuing legacy of Dr. King possible. 

I know that there were at least two or three gathered together in the name of Jesus Christ yesterday.  The Holy Spirit overshadowed the "service" letting us know that because we had gathered together in the name of the Lord He was there faithful to His promise.  The library building was transformed and as in the case with any room, any building, situation, or experience, where "two or three are gathered together"  in the name of the Lord a transformation can and does take place.

Jesus Christ is our Change Agent!  Throughout time He has used those who serve and gather together in His name to get the job done.  What job?  To shed light in darkness.
The preacher yesterday talked about "Us."

 It calls to me this hymn:

            "Let us break bread together on our knees.  Let us break bread together on
             our knees.  When I fall on my knees, with my face to the rising sun, O Lord
             have mercy on me."

Let's gather together and break bread!  The Lord will be in our midst!

God bless!

Sis. Stephanie D. K. Tyus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...