Skip to main content

Blessed


January 11, 2013

"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."  - St. Matthew 5:11-12


I will often hear people say, "I don't care what people say about me."  I find that this response is usually a defensive one when a person has been the object of hurtful or mean comments or gossip.  While I do believe that we should not dwell on negative talk because we cannot control what other people say,  when we find ourselves the target of another person's untruthful remarks it is can be especially hurtful.

When we meditate however, on today's scripture we are instructed by the Lord Himself that we are blessed when we are reviled that is to be criticized with abusive language. Jesus says we are blessed when we are persecuted, when we just can't get away from the pressure. We try to avoid it but we might even be confronted through email, Facebook and Twitter.  He lets us know that there are no white lies but all manner of evil, falsely, for His sake.  Sometimes the darts come just because you are a Christian.

Jesus does not just describe the kind of attacks we will face. He tells us in verse twelve what to do in the midst of them. He also lets us know that this isn't new.  It has happened to people of faith in the past.  His words are: "Rejoice and be exceeding glad!." 

Now let's take a minute and soak it in.  Rejoice!  Get your praise on!  Shout about it!    You might even want to run around and cry out Hallelujah the highest praise!

Until next time!  I have some rejoicing and exceeding praise to do!  I am blessed!  Blessed!

God bless!

Sis. Stephanie D. K. Tyus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...