Skip to main content

Promise




January 5, 2013

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. - Psalm 139:14


When my oldest daughter was in preschool, during the first program I attended, the children sang a song: "I am a promise. I am a possibility.  I am a promise with a capital P. I am a great big bundle of potentiality.   And I am learnin' to hear God's voice and I am tryin' to make the right choice I am a promise to be anything God wants me to be anything God wants me to be."  - (Bill and Gloria Gaither)

The children's voices rang out so loud and filled up the entire auditorium.  Some had serious faces but most had great big smiles.  As they sang, each word rang clear, yet the emphasis was on the three p's, promise, possibility, potentiality.  The audience was reminded that promise was quite important with that GREAT BIG CAPITAL "P."  I have never forgotten
that experience, the faces of the children including my daughter's.

So often we hear of our troubled schools. We also are aware of the many challenges the young generation face today.  These challenges are more intense, the battle that the enemy
 the devil, is raging against them is constant and rapid. Fast temptations, centered around
quick decisions are a constant threat.

 It has been my experience throughout many years of working with youth in various capacities that many  doubt their self-worth. There are three factors that stand out 1) many lack the understanding of the promise that is their future, 2) some do not recognize the possibilities/opportunities that are available to them through hard work and the development of their gifts 3) several do not know Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and therefore are not aware of their full potential as a member of the Body of Christ.

My Pastor often says if you come with a problem offer a solution.  The problem is that many of our children and youth are hurting and need to be reminded of the three p's.  The solution
is Jesus Christ as presented by the Body of Christ.  Reach out to a young person and tell them about the Lord.  Remind them that He cares and that you do also if they happen to belong to your congregation. Reward success.  Acknowledge good grades, good manners, "just being you." 

There is an old saying, "If you do what you always done, you'll get what you've always gotten."  Jesus said: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." - St. John 14:12

That is a PROMISE!

God bless!

Sis. Stephanie D. K. Tyus


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...