Skip to main content

No Worries



January 4, 2013

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.   - Philippians 4:6-7


A young lady shared with me that one of her resolutions for 2013 was not to worry so much.  I talked with her a little about the "type of worrier" she was. I  posed two questions? Was the focus of her worry primarily on current life situations  or on potential problems that may occur in the future? Her response:"a little of both."

Knowing that I was speaking to a fellow Christian I prayed for the right scripture to share that would cover it all.  I spoke about the "the lilies of the field" (St. Matthew 6:27-29) for a start.  However, the Holy Spirit whispered, nothing "Be careful for nothing..."  I then began to share Philippians 4:6-7.

What this scripture tells us in essence is, "no worries."  Through His word, we hear: "be careful", "don't be anxious", don't worry."  Rather, whatever you are faced with in life, any situation and likewise any achievement, tell God about it through prayer, talk to God, have a conversation with Him.  Supplication while also a conversation is very personal and specific, a crying out for help, getting "real with the worries" and laying the burdens down.  Three very important components are mentioned here: 1) Prayer 2) Supplication 3) Thanksgiving.  Taking God at His Word as recorded here and petitioning Him and thanking Him results in "no worries", thereby providing peace that cannot be explained as we read in verse seven.

I explained to my young sister in Christ that it is not that we will never be tempted to worry or that we will never succumb to the temptation to fret.  However, we have a remedy, a solution.  The more we trust and exchange God's Word for our human application, in this case the tendency to worry, the stronger we become.

No worries!

God bless!

Sis. Stephanie D. K. Tyus



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...