Skip to main content

Pressing My Way



January 26, 2013


Philippians 3:12-14 (KJV)

"Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before
 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

Dear Friend,


The theme for the International Sunday School Lesson for January 27, 2013 is based in part on the verses listed above.  The topic. "Stand Firm in Christ." 
Paul is letting us know of his own walk with the Lord that he does not claim to fully understand his calling, mission, or purpose in Christ -- his assignment.  Certainly he has not reached perfection.  He is clear in stating:  "Look although I don't have it all together and may not understand all the pieces and parts, I can tell you what!  I am not concerning myself with what use to be or with who I use to be.  I am not dwelling on my past.  I am doing all I can to forget about my past mistakes.
 
I am letting go of those who would try to keep me bound in my old sins.  I will tell you what I am doing I am reaching.  More specifically, I am reaching forward not to the left or right but straight ahead so as not to be distracted.  I am determined to get where the Lord wants me to go so I am not just reaching but I am pressing.  I am trying to let you know the extent of my commitment with each press I am becoming more grounded why.  It is because the calling I have to pursue is not just any calling it is the highest calling.  It is marked for the prize.  There is a certain reward attached for it is the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
I get excited just reviewing the lesson. I understand how Paul feels.  I feel like pressing my way.  It is worth it.  Don't look back Christian Friends.  Look ahead to the bright future God has promised us.

Beams of heaven as I go, through the wilderness below, guide my feet in peaceful ways, turn my midnights into days. When in the darkness I would grope, faith always sees a star of hope, and soon from all life's grief and danger I shall be free someday. Refrain: I do not know how long 'twill be, nor what the future holds for me, but this I know: if Jesus leads me, I shall get home someday.




Stand firm!
God bless!
Sis. Stephanie D. K. Tyus


                                
 
.
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Here

  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. - Psalms 23:4 The journey here...that is really something to think about.  Where we are in life as compared to where we had hoped to be.  Paths chosen while other were forgotten or neglected.  Decisions.  Times of indecisiveness. There were times we crawled. Too weary to walk.  We ran. We were too impatient to wait.   The journey.  Here.  That is really something to think about. For me the most difficult and sometimes debilitating aspect of the journey, has been walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Tempted to fear due to memories of time I could have spent, conversations I should have had, hugs I wish I had given.  This type of fearful fretting is not of God.  I have learned; I am learning that if I truly believe, He is with me.  If I surely stand on His promi...

If We Live

  For  that  ye ought to say, If the Lord  will ,  we  shall live, and  do   this ,  or   that .                                                   - James 4:15 If I live to see tomorrow... I remember hearing adults say this when I was a child.  Tomorrow seemed to be some miraculous day.  Big things were going to happen.  Something special was in store.  I began to think and say aloud: I can't wait until tomorrow. I did not realize that the biggest factor in "tomorrow" was if the Lord willed us to live to see it.  Everything, each and every day rested in the will of God.  So, what about today? How about some reframing.  "The Lord has blessed me with today. He allowed me this day."  How about doing something in the now. Procrastination is a thief.  It is a threat to hope....

I Remember

"When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings I will rejoice." - Psalms 63:6-7 Dear Friends, "My sister and me used to have bunk beds.  This reminds of me of that. Do you remember Stephanie? It's like we are having a pajama party." I remember. I sat with my sister in her Hospice room and I remembered.  Bunk beds that we sometimes had stacked and at other times they were laid side by side, like twin beds.  I remember that we are not in our room of long ago. Unless the Lord says otherwise when this "party" is over my sister will be with the Lord and I will return to my earthly home.  I remember. God was a Mighty Fortress during those days.  In a place where people go to comfortably die, the Lord was teaching a lesson on how to live.  Praise and worship was the norm.  My sister the angelic soprano sang.  Family came in the room and for...